Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reflections & Resolutions & Photos

Reflections:

2011 was a good running year. When the year began my littlest baby was only 4 months old and an awful sleeper, but somehow I managed to run over 2,000 miles for the year, one half marathon, two full marathons, and three 5ks. Although I was happy with all my race times (which can be found on the right), there's only one race that I actually felt good while I was running. The turkey trot, which wasn't my fastest 5k for the year, but was definitely the best I felt for any race. I blame my tiny tykes for my lack luster feelings on race days. When do kids let their parents sleep anyway?

My best performance was, surprisingly, in the 5k (18:52). I've never believed that the 5k was my best distance, but maybe it is. I don't know. I guess we'll see what happens in the other distances in 2012. Speaking of 2012, I don't really have any new year's resolutions. I don't even have specific goals. I'm finding that training with a loose set of goals is working better for me.

I do whatever training I feel like (within reason), then a week before my race I look at my training logs, the race predictor calculators, and determine what pace I should be able to run. Training by feel is less pressure for me. Selecting a time goal in advance is so much more stressful. There's pressure to run certain paces in training regardless of how one feels, which for me is a recipe for disaster. And less enjoyable overall.

Resolutions:

Okay, so my running resolution for 2012 will be to go with what works (and to have fun). Oh, maybe I should also resolve to blog more, like at least once a week. Yes, I will blog at least once a week in 2012. (Believe it or not, I actually go back through my blog posts sometimes when my training notes and memory are a bit spotty.)

The racing schedule for 2012 is in flux. I have two half marathons planned, but everything else is undecided. Besides those two races, I'm sure I'll run a marathon and a few 5ks. I just haven't decided which to run.

Do you train by feel or with specific times goals? Is your race calendar decided?

Photos:

My fastest race of the year! If you really want to you can purchase photos from Capstone Photography

So much trouble, but so much cuteness in one package!


Me & my little ladies

Speaking of little ladies...

8 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Oh, Katie! I can just see 2012 for you! It will be more than you imagine right now:) You are getting faster and faster doing what works for you and balancing things so well. Love following your training. Your little ladies are adorable. Hopefully they will sleep a bit more in 2012.

Love that picture with you flying...such a symbol for how you are running right now:)

Karen said...

I train by feel and specific time goals. I do most runs by feel but will have one run a week that I go fast. If I add any unplanned running, I take it suuuuper slow and leave my watch at home.

It is kinda cool to see which distance is our best one. Mine has changed a little over time with different training and priorities.

You are so strong in that photo! WOW! Add a cape and you'd be Super Woman :)

Raina said...

You DID have an awesome 2011, Katie. Great racing! And I am surprised that YOU were surprised at the 5k being your best race of the year....with all that speed you have. :)

You have an interesting approach to training. I like to see what you are doing because it is so different that how I am training- and you seem to race very well.

I follow the calculators pretty closely, mostly for speed work, just because I don't want to be tanked for the next week. If I go too fast, I pay for it with injuries and fatigue. But I am never afraid to take my easy paces slower than the calculators say. If I need recovery, I need recovery.

Looking for a fantastic 2012 for you! Have a great weekend, Katie!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Following your training a bit the past few weeks has been so nice Katie. Wow,talk about a load of potential...I can see that you will only get faster as your kids get older and you get more sleep and free time. I love how you take the pressure off by not even thinking about the times until closer to the race. I also like how you run so many easy runs during the week to balance your wicked fast speediness when you do a speed workout.

Your kids are adorable. Your oldest...what a cute outfit in that secnod picture!!! Oh so precious.

Loved reading this and really excited that you will be posting more often. I look forward to getting to know you better in this virtual world.

Katie said...

Thanks ladies! I wasn't even sure if anyone would be stopping by the blog given how bad I've been at posting.

Raina said...

Since I can't email you, i will leave a comment :)

I do NOT have the all answers about nutrition, but am finally getting curious enough to see what I can change and improve.

Thinking I should have ran my easy pace about a minute a mile slower today...haha.

Hope you are having a great week, Katie :)

Lani said...

I've been following you for a while, don't think I've commented yet though. Thanks for this, I'm getting ready to have a baby next week, and needed a little reminder/inspiration for how to approach training this coming year :) Looks like your ready for an awesome 2012!

Michelle said...

First of all, your older daughter looks so grown up!!! They are both adorable.

Loved reading your reflections. My goal for 2010? make it to the starting line of my February marathon without breaking something!! Beyond that, we will see. Pace wise I run by feel only. I wear my garmin so i know what I am doing, but am always so terrified of injury that I never push if it doesn't feel right.

My last 20 miler is this saturday.m If I make it in one peice I will finally blog about my training. I am being superstitious!