- Here I am with my two little ladies after my 20 miler last week. We were at our favorite art museum that includes a cool sculpture park.
- Two weeks ago was tough. After being inhaler free for several months, my asthma came back with a vengeance. I took off three days from running, did eventually start feeling better, and wound up being able to run a 20 miler that Sunday at 8:02 pace. The week ended with 47 miles, which isn't so bad.
- Last week was much better. I ended up with 60 miles. This week will be my last build week and my last loooong run. Next week I start tapering! Woo hoo!
- I hate the Kinvara 3s. I found a pair of Kinvara 2s online, and have had no issues with them. Stupid shoes. Why do they always feel the need to change a good thing?
- Kaylee loves school so much she cried last weekend when she couldn't go on Saturday and Sunday. She is definitely an intense child. I have no idea where she gets that from... ;)
- This has been my best marathon training cycle. I have no idea what that will mean on race day, but it should be interesting at the very least.
- I've been experimenting with a few new workouts. Well, new to me anyway. Every couple weeks I try to do some variation of 6 x 1 mile repeats at 10K pace. Last week I did 6 x 7 minutes at slightly faster than 10K pace with 2 minute jogs in between intervals. (7 minutes is more than a mile for me.) I did it, but it really was hard. And why is this workout worth my time? I don't know. A few years ago I read something about Dean Karnazes (I think) saying that was an awesome marathon training workout. So I'm trying to figure out just how awesome it is for me.
- I've also been experimenting with another workout. It's mile repeats at marathon pace. Boring I know, but a fast friend suggested 8-10 1 mile repeats at marathon pace. I completely ignored the suggestion at first, but I've found that it's a very interesting workout to run the day after a super long run. Interesting in that it's really really hard, but doable (most of the time). I take 2 minute rest jogs at (or slightly faster than 8:00 min pace) in between intervals. Mentally it's easier than a regular marathon pace run, but in the end it's really not much slower than a MP run.
- During this training cycle I've lost a little weight. I wasn't trying, but increasing from 40 miles to 70 miles must have led to a calorie deficit. Don't worry. I'm still not skinny. I just went from a 22.5 BMI to a 21.5. Just something to note. With society being so weight crazy, I hate to even mention it, but I suppose it could make a difference on race day.
- I haven't been posting much. There are a ton of things floating around my brain, but at night when I would have time to post something, I wind up spending my time with Nick. And that's a good thing. It just means I'm left with little posting time.
- I got into Boston. I hope everyone else did too!
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Some updates and thoughts bullet style!
Warning this is totally random...