Friday, November 20, 2009

Me and My Food

Just for reference, I'm not one to obsess over food. I like to eat, and I'm not biased. I enjoy the fruits and veggies as well as the brownies and cupcakes. I'm an equal opportunity eater. Running helps too. It's much easier for me to maintain a healthy attitude towards food when I'm running.

When Kaylee started eating solid food, I started paying closer attention to food labels and ingredient lists. As it turns out, Kaylee has an issue with soy called FPIES, and you wouldn't think so but soy is in everything. Specifically soy bean oil and soy lecithin. This means we can't eat out unless we bring food for Kaylee. The result has been we eat out much less than we once did, and most of our food is made from scratch.

So I'm thinking, hey we eat pretty darn well. Then I read this blog post, where Mary Iron Matron eats 5 servings of fruit and 7 servings of veggies everyday! Holy cannoli Batman! And here I thought I was doing okay with my struggle to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies combined. As a result, the last three weeks or so I've made a huge effort to increase my fresh fruit and vegetable intake. Now I'm up to 9 servings combined on most days. My biggest fear with increasing fruit and veggie intake was convenience. I don't have a lot of time to cook and salad can be irritating to prepare as well. I've been eating things like apples with peanut butter and baby carrots with hummus. Oh because that was the other fear, not being satisfied. I don't have time to eat all day long and I'm grouchy when I'm hungry, but peanut butter and hummus keeps me satisfied.

Now that I've gotten accustom to the routine, I'm enjoying it. I didn't make the change to lose weight (although I wouldn't mind if I lost a couple pounds). I just want to be healthy and set a good example for my tiny tyke. I do think it's making a difference in how I feel. To be fair though, the family has been sick on and off since the end of September, so I might just be feeling good because I'm not sick anymore.

And of course, as always, in the back of my mind I'm wondering...will it help me run faster?

1 comment:

Running and living said...

The problem with eating these many veggies and fruits (for me) is the frequent bathroom stops....the fiber does a number on me, though I do hear that the body adjusts to that over time.