Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where have all my toenails gone?

Yeah, yeah, super gross. I don't generally think about my toes. Really, it's just best if I ignore them. Yesterday, however, I was in the locker room and I overheard a group of ladies talking about their toenails. You know, how awful they were, blah, blah, blah. Just from the context of the conversation, I was able to glean that they have never actually seen toenails like mine. Sigh. (They clearly never run either.)

Of course, then I started thinking about my poor sorry toes and their nails. My nails are just awful. At any given time, I can be missing six nails (that includes my big toes). It's always the same six nails too. Besides just your typical running trauma, it's also likely that a few of those nails have a fungus because some of them grow funny. They don't look like the pictures I've seen of nail fungus, but something fishy is definitely going on. (And no, I'm not going to post any pictures of my toes, it just wouldn't be right.) I've been waiting to go to the doctor because it wasn't until I was pregnant that I realized a few of the nails might have a fungus. So classy, right? And now I'm breastfeeding, so I'm still waiting on that doctor visit. Sometimes I try odd things like soaking them in vinegar. It's one of those home remedies I've read about on the Internet. I don't think it helps. It smells ripe though. I've also tried some over the counter antifungus liquids, but they don't seem to do anything either.

Other than my toes and their funky nails my feet don't really look all that bad. My skin looks normal and everything. My toes though, they sort of look like someone took a mallet to them. Oh well...

In other news, only 7 weeks until the Providence marathon! How did training go last week? I took it easy. I did a few marathon pace runs, which were uneventful. I did a 12 miler, which seemed downright short after the previous week's long run. My total mileage for the week fell a bit short though. I wound up with 42 miles in four days. I took 3 days off. I meant to take 2 days off, but was feeling lazy and tired on the 3rd and decided to take another day. I don't regret taking the time off. I've been tired. My runs this week have been better and I have another long run planned for Saturday! I'm planning on running for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Good times, good times...

Marathon Training Week 4 (3/7 - 3/13)
Total Miles: 42
Total Time: 5:51
Average Pace: 8:21 min/mile

Marathon Training Week 3 (2/28 - 3/6)

Total Miles: 52.2
Total Time: 7:17
Average Pace: 8:22 min/mile

Marathon Training Week 2 (2/21 - 2/27)
Total Miles: 50.25
Total Time: 7:15
Average Pace: 8:39 min/mile

Marathon Training Week 1 (2/14 - 2/20)
Total Miles: 50
Total Time: 6:40
Average Pace: 8:00 min/mile

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Mmm toe jam. My nails aren't great either but luckily I've never been too concerned about them (socially). I had ingrown surgery once and I'm pretty sure I need it on the other foot too but... That keeps you off the streets for 2 weeks and it doesn't hurt currently. Hope you figure out your fungus-ish problems soon!

Katie said...

Coconut is a natural antifungal...have you tried rubbing coconut oil (that's solid or warming it slightly so it's liquid) on them for two weeks?

Running and living said...

I will tell you what helped me. Buying running shoes that are 1 full size bigger than regular shoes (I used to get shoes only 1/2 size bigger). I still get blood blisters and may lose a nail or 2 in a marathon, but things are much better than they used to be. Oh, and I have some fungus type going on but I am not going to get it checked out. I really don't care about how my toes look like!