Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Socks are cool

Things have been crazy! And the crazy has absolutely nothing to do with running. I didn't run anything particularly special last week. I ran 50 miles, most of them slow. There was one 10 mile MP run. That's really all I have to say about running...well yesterday I ran an 8 miler at 7:11 pace, which was cool.

Last week I mentioned preventative maintenance, or something to that affect. Getting stronger and preventing injury is at the top of my objective list this year. One of the more interesting activities I've picked up in my quest to remain free of injury is wearing compression socks.

I've had some nagging Achilles's heel tightness for the last two years. It doesn't seem to get worse, but it doesn't get better either. I've been trying to figure out what I can do to help those heels out. Advice I've found seems to range from don't wear shoes ever to wear shoes all the time. Every piece of advice I find, there's the opposite advice out there too. What seems reasonably correct is that once the the Achilles's tendon is strained or injured it's slow to recover due to poor circulation in the area. Hence the compression socks. Those super expensive socks claim to increase circulation. Also, through trial and error, I have figured out that there is something going on with my calves that isn't helping. Now I wear compression socks and stretch my calves, and the heels seem happy enough.




I have two pairs of socks. The Recovery Sock, which was confusing at first (at least to me). The socks are sold as a pair, not a single sock, but the literal engineer in me was a little nervous that I was only ordering a single sock (given the name). My review...I like them. I run in them, sleep in them, recover in them.








I also have a pair of CEP socks. These socks get an A+ for looking cool. I have the hot pink pair and personally think they're snazzy looking. (Nick thinks they look a little silly.) They're great for running and walking around in, but I find if I sleep in them my heels are tight in the morning. Not sure why that happens.





To be honest, I don't feel a difference between the Recovery Sock and CEP. Both pairs are helpful, but I wouldn't be able to recommend one over the other. The CEP socks look a bit cooler, but the Recovery Sock is almost half the price. Although I wouldn't want to recommend one over the other, I can definitely say that they do help me recover. Enough so, that I'm entertaining the idea of buying a third pair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm i have two pair of CEP socks (one was won so i didn't really pay for it) and one pair of some type of diabetic compression sock that was a fraction of the cost. like you, i don't really feel any difference BUT i do like my CEP ones, maybe mentally i try to feel like i'm getting my money's worth. i'll have to check out the recovery ones because i love socks that i can wear everywhere.

Meaghan said...

I lovvvvvvvvvvve my CEP socks for recovery. I wear them all.the.time after a long run or hard workout.

I'm excited for your race, you are going to KICK ASS. You've been cruisin' lately!!!

kristen said...

I have some compression sleeves but no socks. Maybe I'll invest in some socks one of these days.

Oddly, I was thinking about the Recovery Sock brand earlier this morning. I was thinking that I hadn't heard much about them lately and wondered if they were still cheaper than the other brands...maybe I'll see if they ship to Canada at a reasonable price.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Hey Katie,
Not sure if you saw my reply about tomorrow's run. I am up to it. I jut realized I lost your email. Hope you get it. If so and if you are up for the run (it will be wet but oh well!) can you email me avranceanu@partners.org? I'll check again this evening. Thanks!
oh, and love recovery socks!