Monday, July 16, 2012

BayState 2012


I’m taking the plunge, and declaring that I’m training for the BayState marathon! Now I just need to register...

Of the five marathons I’ve run in my long lifetime, I’ve run BayState three times, so I guess it’s not all that surprising that I would declare that I’m running it for a fourth time. It’s just so darn convenient. And fast. I do like fast. With about 14 weeks to go, training has become more notable. Yesterday I jumped on the treadmill for my last run of the week, and Nick was all “You’re going to run again? Don’t you want to take a day off?” My miles have picked up a bit over the last few weeks. This past week I ran 60 miles, and wouldn’t mind peaking somewhere around 70, but that will depend on how my body is dealing with the extra miles. I also ran a 6 x 1 mile workout last week with the repeats slightly slower than 5K pace, but faster than 10K pace.

For this training cycle, I’m concentrating on running more miles. In my last marathon cycle, I ran a lot of hard workouts, but only peaked at 49 miles. The first 16 miles of that race were awesome, but the last 10 were ugly. The marathon prior to that, I tried to run more miles, without much hard running (and peaked at 57 miles). That entire race felt like a struggle (probably just a bad day), but the second half didn’t feel worse than the first half, which was nice. This time around, I’m going to increase the miles again and see where that takes me.

My parents will be running the half at BayState this year too, which is super cool. I love sharing the race day excitement with others (though Nick might argue that I’m really just sharing the pain). He loves to give me a hard time about running and how I’m complete lunatic for running as much as I do. Secretly though, I know he thinks it’s cool. ;)

4 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Hey Katie,
Sorry to absent for a bit. I am not sure about Baystate - I have bad shin splints and have not run for almost 2 weeks now...crosstraining like crazy. But, I would love to run with you depending on my shin, though I wonder if I'd be able to keep up with you, ha! Miss you!

Michelle said...

Good luck with training!!!

Raina said...

Katie- hope training is going well for you! I think the more miles approach will help you..You certainly have the speed!
Hope summer is going well for you :)

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Hey Katie, somehow I misplaced your email.. SO no Baystate for me. I hope your training is going super. Will be cheering for you! I am almost positive I will be doing Boston and would love to train together. XOXO