Thursday, January 3, 2013

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

I know, I know, no blogging in a month! Don't worry I haven't given up running for another hobby or sport, though I do have a strong interest in learning Kenpo, but that's a story for another day. I'd also love to be proficient at knitting (you know something other than a scarf), but I lack the patience for such a skill. I think I'm straying off topic here....

Christmas:

We celebrate Christmas, so the last month has been filled with lots of Christmas crafts and celebrating and music. Here's the brief list:

Our Merry Christmas card! This is the first time we've used a family picture (versus just a picture of the kids). The picture was from Thanksgiving.
 We visited LaSalette, which is really the best place for Christmas lights around our way. We also went to a place called the holiday festival of lights at the Nashoba ski place, but it was like a creepy B horror movie (in my humble opinion). The kids liked it though, so I'm glad we at least gave it a shot, but I don't think I'd go there again. (The picture is from LaSalette.)

We made these snow men out of old socks for Kaylee's teachers. Yeah, I know, I'm wicked nice right? So giving and thoughtful by giving away our old socks. Well, we also made them peppermint bark and gave them a gift card, so it wasn't completely lame. All kidding aside, the little snowmen were easy to make (essential for an un-crafty, inpatient person such as myself), and really did wind up being cute. I'm new to teacher presents. I'd be interested to hear what others do. I liked the idea of a gift card, because then they can get what they want, and I think some sort of homemade yummy treat might be okay too, but I'm guessing three dozen homemade crafts or mugs filled with candy gets old (so maybe we'll skip this craft next year).

We also made wreath ornaments for the grandparents and aunts and uncles. They were made from buttons and sparkly pipe cleaner. Very easy to do, and they look pretty. The one shown in the picture wasn't one we made, but it looked close to that.

The kids also decorated new stockings (a tradition we started a couple years ago), and it's a lot of fun. The stockings are nothing special. Just cheap stuff usually from Michael's, but they usually come out nice, and they become special because the kids did it themselves.



The New Year:

With Christmas behind us, I guess now would be about the time that I review 2012 and set some new goals or resolutions for 2013. Well, 2012 was good to me. I ran a number of PR's, which was a big deal because it meant that I've gotten as fast as I once was in college, something I just didn't think was possible a few years ago. Things outside of running were good too. We moved. We were apprehensive about moving, but we love our new home and Kaylee's school (the primary reason for moving). We are so happy that we took the leap. Work has been good. I had a paper published, which was cool, and I've started a new project that I think will be interesting. In short, 2012 was a good year.

What's in store for 2013? I don't know. I don't generally make New Year's resolutions, but if I were to make one this year it would be to have more patience with the kids. I never yelled with just one kid, but I find with the two, I do yell. And it irritates me. It's like they play off each other. When one starts, the other starts, and I'll go from being fine to suddenly having no patience left, and then I yell. I'd like to fix that.

As far as running goes, I don't know what my goals are. The blog-o-sphere is both good and bad for me, I think. I've stumbled on a number of blogs of women near my age with kids who have that whole break 3 hours in the marathon goal going on. And I've stumbled on some ladies who have recently done it too. So, of course, now I'm starting to think about it too. I've been running some treadmill workouts with that thought in mind....

I'm currently training for a half marathon in February and Boston in April. I was sick most of last month, so my training was all over the place. I don't feel like I've gotten into a groove yet. I have had some really great workouts, but I'm having trouble figuring out what my easy pace is, and I don't feel like I've built a good base yet. I guess things just feel inconsistent right now. If I were to take on the goal of breaking 3 hours in the marathon, it wouldn't be a goal for Boston. It would be a goal for BayState.

Something new for recovery the FRoller:

In a week or two I'll be writing a post about a new recovery tool called the FRoller. It's a lot like "the stick" except you freeze it. It's meant to replace ice message. I don't do ice baths. Besides the fact that they're uncomfortable, they're also time consuming and use a lot of ice. I do rub my legs down with ice after almost every run. For the next couple weeks, I'm replacing my ice rub down with the FRoller. I'll let you know how it goes!

What's your favorite recovery tool?

5 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

You had a great 2012, an 2013 will be even better. Keep reading those blogs bc your running is amazing right now Katie! 5k in 18 min, 17 miles @ 6:43 on the TM...I know Boston is a tough course, but I also know how strong you are on hills. And with such workouts so early on, I say you have a bit shot at going sub 3 at Boston. As far as easy pace goes, would you consider calculating your MAF pace based on your max HR, or use the easy pace for a sub 3 marathon? Truly excited to see what you will do in 2013!

Gifts for teachers - we give money for a collective gift for the teachers, which makes it easy on us:) We give gift cards to the afterschool teachers (with homemade cards by Petru).

Love the snowmen socks!

Patience with kids - I can imagine it is tough with 2 kids! With mine, I find that I give myself a time out when he is out of control (e.g., leave him alone in a room), but I guess it is harder to do this with 2. Patience is hard.

Karen said...

I love your resolution, I think 90% of parents could probably stand to work on that one too. I run out of patience with just my husband around sometimes (though he is probably as messy as a little kid).

Tia said...

Love the family Christmas card and the snowmen socks are cool!

You definitely had a great 2012 and I am 2013 will be even better. You are one of my favorite runners to follow on DM because you are consistent and you push yourself- especially when it comes to running on a treadmill. I have no doubt that you are going to do amazing in your next half and your next full. :-)

katie @ msfitrunner said...

You can TOTALLY run a sub 3:) funny how that's the first thing I comment about:) I also LOVE the sock snowmen, going to have to remember that for next year. I had big plans to get all crafty with the little ones, and it just didn't happen. Ever since the kids were in preschool, we did class gifts - which is so nice and such a money saver. I just contribute $5 usually and the teacher gets one nice big gift card to one place. Glad you had a nice holiday. Looking forward to following you in 2013:)

Raina said...

Of all this you wrote about, i am most surprised that you ice your legs down after most runs! Had no idea about that..it's like you were sneaking in a little recovery and not telling any of us. :)
Will be interested in hearing about the FRoller

About the kids and yelling..Oh I am certain I am more guilty than you. My personal goal for 2013 is to put an end to yelling. My new habit is that if I feel like I have to yell, I just go silent and start gesturing. Oddly the kids actually like it and start to play along. I have managed to make it a whole half a day without talking recently, but then when Nathan cried because I would not read a bedtime story, I decided that the next day reading would not count. ha. That's too much about me..

Anyway..SUB 3!! You can doooo it!! Probably smart to shoot for a different race, though Boston could fit in that plan, IMO.